Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A day in the life...

A day in the life of Melissa Good Taste has been full steam ahead with short bursts of horses, work, researching American War history (my new favorite subject since watching American Sniper) and squeezing in family and friend time. This is what I have been up to lately...

I was fortunate enough to be able to make it to my girlfriend, Nichole's Birthday celebration last week at the Old Creek Winery in Ojai. Our usual group, plus a few new gals joined in for the fun and it was a blast getting caught up on all the details in everyone's lives.

We made it a kind of potluck setting, with each of us contributing a little something to the group. I of course made the Broccoli Salad. I love my version so much mostly because it contains mayonnaise, bacon, cheese and sunflower seeds. It really should not even called a salad with all those fun ingredients!

I mostly love this location because of the tree I shot in this photo. I hope it stands there forever. 

 Back at the ranch...
 Meanwhile at the ranch, Scott and I have been preparing the horses for a quick show this Friday in Paso Robles. We will bring a full load for Cowboy Ron, Scott and I to show. We just recently got magnets for the doors of our big truck proudly wearing the colors of Performance Equine, a company we are endorsing for our equine supplement needs. Scott will be packing the rig up again this Sunday and headed to Texas to the Bonanza NCHA Cutting in Glen Rose, Texas.

If not on a horse, Scott has been on a tractor - discing, planting and covering up seed. He has dreams of our pastures knee deep in green grass for our horses and cattle to enjoy. I give him a lot of props because it has been a time consuming task.

Last night I had the opportunity to try something I had never done before, I made Blackened Ahi. The Ahi Tuna was screaming at me from the seafood counter and I decided to give it a try. I usually am not a "blackened" anything fan, because my past experience with it always left me with just a "burnt" taste in my mouth. I decided to roll the dice and created my own blackening seasoning with a combination of paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne and sugar. I pressed the mixture into the flesh until it coated the filet completely. With a thin layer of oil in a pan, I quickly seared the fish, maybe a minute if that. It doesn't require much. I was amazed at the ease and most importantly the taste! It was perfect. This will be a go to option for warm summer nights when you dread any heat from the kitchen. 

I hope all of you out there are doing well and just as busy as I am. Days roll into weeks, and weeks rolled into a month that just blew by without the blink of an eye. Hello February!

No comments: